Friday, November 1, 2013

Day 16 - Early Bird catches a whale - But which one was it



A good start in the morning with a very small breakfast, then off to Pilates, Yoga and Zumba, two hours later, emerging from our fitness studio, the old converted bar. Next action item after a few quick emails – Lunch.

Trawl Deck
 After lunch some light science reading and finally getting on the credit card statement and reconciliation form. All these small little jobs, one does in the office, the only thing is that I don’t have all the items in front of me and can’t yet confirm the final results. In the later afternoon I went up to the bridge, filling out the whale sighting forms and digging through the wildlife books to figure out what whale I captured in the first of my two whale encounters.
The Humpback

The second was definitively a breaching Humpback, the first one I only have the back fin before the dive.
Who Knows This Guy?

 It not necessarily looks like a Humpback, may be like a Finwhale, could also be a Blue or Mincky. After reading and looking at pictures I decided to leave it for the moment, in the hope that I can submit the pictures online and the people from the Southern Ocean Research Partnership, may be better in identifying the sighting. http://www.marinemammalsgov.au/sorp/sightings. As I was wondering around the ship I took the opportunity to take some pictures of all the various rooms and signs around the ship. My favorite “No Dumping of Garbage in the Sea”.



After another great dinner, I took my water colors up to the bridge painting a few pictures, after a game of darts which turned into a car racing wii game, I took my pastels up to the bridge and captured the breaking free of the ice. Well we made it from one lead into the other. Slow progress, very slow progress.
Darkness over the Ice

Crack in the ice

No comments:

Post a Comment