Saturday, November 2, 2013

Day 17 - A ship doesn't loose anything



After last night late hours on the bridge, I slept in, woke up about 9:15 a bit late for pilates. Peaking briefly into the room it was crowded, I do believe we need to arrange two exercise sessions. The running machines as well as the bikes also were busy. People are keeping themselves in shape. Good idea with all the good food around. 

At 10:30 we had our weekly muster and fire drill. In a muster we all get dressed up in our Antarctic gear and report to one of the muster points. As the weather was nice, we mustered once again on the Heli-deck in bright sunshine. As quickly as the muster was over, as refreshing was it to stand in the fresh air with all the warm gear and the life vest on.  Beautiful weather in the middle of the ice. 


After lunch I headed up to the Bridge to change the batteries of my GPS. I have my GPS lingering on the bridge to record the track we making in the ice, so that I can upload it in Google earth later on. I started this sometime after I lost my GPS tag for my camera sometime on the third or fourth day. What had happened there was that I took pictures of sea-birds through an opening on the level above the trawl deck. With the large swell the boat was rocking back and forth. Walking from one observation point to another I thought about the GPS tag which I had clipped onto my camera strap. Somehow I dismissed my thoughts and started shooting the amazing sailors of the windy sea. Later that afternoon I was up on the bridge and took some shots from the deck to the side of the bridge. I remember that something like something dropping, which briefly caught my attention, though I guess I may have been too focused on shooting some great pictures. A while later I recognized that my GPS tag was gone. I looked back at the trawl deck location as well as next to the bridge. The tag was nowhere. With waves crushing over and water flushing everything on the trawl deck into the ocean and no GPS tag visible anywhere I had walked I believed that it was gone, sacrificed to the Southern Ocean. 
As I was replacing my GPS batteries, Kat the 3rd mate asked me something about GPS. I first thought she was talking about the GPS I just was refuelling with energy, No it was my believed to be lost GPS tag, which was found, and somehow landed on the Bridge’s desk. There I got it back two weeks later. Yeah – the saying a ship doesn’t lose anything is true. A very happy day.


Otherwise the day was more or less event less. Just another day on the ship. Another presentation in the evening, a little bit playing dart and then catching up with journal writing and picture organizing until the late wee hours.  

No comments:

Post a Comment