Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Gearing Up and First Test Rides

The past couple of days I spent among other things gearing up my bike for the big Trip. New acquisitions are a Surly front rack and a center kick stand from the local bike store North Central Cyclery here in DeKalb , an T1 aero bar from REI, new Ortlieb Front Bags, and a rear view mirror.

Current Configuration without the front rack


The Surly Front Rack
The Center Kick Stand

While choosing the large components was easy and relatively straight forward I am still testing the mirror. Mounting the mirror on my road bike handle bar the mirror itself if mounted at the end of the bar is not in my direct view when biking. Mounting it on the end of the aero bar I would look straight into the mirror however I also would be blocking the view. Mounting it at the end of my curved handle bar the mirror is not in view and I have to look sidewise down to check on traffic. Still this may be better than having to turn your head all the way around. At the end I choose the CatEye rear view mirror because of the size of the mirror itself. The negative about the mirror is that the mounting is a little bit flimsy and I need to adjust the mirror frequently. 

What's still missing are a small bag for the front, something for inbetween the handle bars and I am still debating about the right bike computer.  more on this in another blog.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment