Thursday, June 23, 2011

2011-06-23 Third Day


Thursday June 23, 2011

Most of the morning I spent on most important things - getting hocked up to the internet and a printer, and pulling everything together to get reimbursed for my Visa, moving and travel expenses. After lunch I took one of the department cars and headed down to Kingston to drop them off.

Ok – I have to admit that I got a little bit confused these days. The sun passes in the North and cars are driving on the left side of the road. With cars driving on the left side of the road, everything on a car is reversed – the passenger side is the driver side and the driver side is the passenger side. So which side was again the driver side? While the past couple of days I quiet often caught myself heading towards the drivers side of a car before getting I actually got this time into the passenger side and was surprised to find the steering wheel on the other side. Daaahhhhh. – out of the car and getting in on the right hand side…. With the steering wheel being on the right, driving on the left however is much easier than one may be afraid of. The trick here is to take the median of the road always next to the steering wheel, except if you drive in the middle of the road one will always drive on the correct (not the right :-) side of the road.

Off I was to Kingston and ruckizucki back to my office. The afternoon I than spent with more conversations and printing out and reading some science papers, overall catching up with the work of my colleagues.  
A part of my time I also spent on checking on my shipments. Yesterday I had received the bill for the shipment and a couple of pictures of my palletized belongings. Looking at the pictures I thought there was something funny about the pallet. Comparing the picture against the pictures I had taken in Illinois, I discovered that someone had reorganized the majority of my palletized belongings.

From the pictures it looked as if all the boxes are still undamaged though the fact that someone – not custom – went through my boxes and reorganized them isn’t much comforting. Most annoying is that who ever did this increased in this way the overall height of the stacked items and thus the volume costing me money as the my shipper is billing it by the dimensions they received. We will see, how that goes.

Also somewhat annoying is that my bicycle hasn’t yet arrived. Most likely this is due to the ash cloud lingering over the Tasmania and impacting air traffic. Seems I was really really lucky getting into Hobart on the only day this week air traffic hadn’t canceled flights. 

And with this another great day is over.

No comments:

Post a Comment