Sunday, May 15, 2011

2011-05-15 Lillooet to Willow Springs Campground (Clinton)



After the long day yesterday I had a slow rise – trying to use the slow internet connection until I gave up with only a few e-mails written and not able to upload much to my blog.
After stocking up on water, some pepperoni sticks, snickers and 3 bananas and eating two yoghurts I was once again hitting the road. The trail out of town leads me down to the mighty Frazer River than up the hill towards Cache Creek and Clinton. The road is winding along the side of the mountains slowly gaining elevation towards a ridge, than dropping down on the other side just to climb up again.

Over and over again.


First Stop was at the gas station and grocery store in Fountain, adding another 3 liter of water. Yes water is what has appeared to be the most valuable item. In the form of rain to cool you down on yesterdays brutal uphill climb to the Duffey and to replenish the water lost by sweating it out. From Fountain the road climbs slowly towards Pavilion. From here the road stayed more or less even towards Marble Canyon, passing slowly cows grassing on green pastures, and beautiful Pavilion, Crown and Turquoise Lake.


After a good rest and lunch at Turquoise Lake the road headed down into the valley. Enjoying the beautiful weather I did a quick stop at Hat Creek Ranch and than headed onward up-hill towards Clinton.


Leisurely riding my bike I eyed my first Bald Eagle and its nest

Ranch before reaching later in the evening the Willow Springs campground a few miles outside of Clinton. Here I shared the campground with a group of tree planters. The tree planters are hired by the logging companies to replant the forest making $0.10 per tree. A hard laboring work, however apparently also a very lucrative one as the best of the best can make several hundred dollars a day. With these young fellows I spent the evening around their box fire before falling asleep in my little tent under a beautiful full moon before it started raining.

No comments:

Post a Comment