Saturday, May 21, 2011

2011-05-21 Prince George to Fort Frazer - Beaumont Provincial Park

After a nice rest day, some great cooking and company I am on the road again.

First stop in the morning for breakfast was at Joseph Shea's place. Joseph is a post doctoral researcher at UBC/ UNBC studying glacier hydrology (http://www.geog.ubc.ca/~jshea/). We met last week in Pembelton at the Pub. He had just come down from the Mountain doing GPR fieldwork while I rested from my ride down from Whistler. The world is small.

After some great blue berry pancakes. I hit the road and Joe went off hiking with his wife and two sons.
After a quick shopping stop in Prince George I headed up the hill hitting the highway west towards Vanderhoof and onward to Fort Frazer and the Beaumont Provincial Park my destination for the night.



On the way out of town I passed the Sikh Vasakhi Parade with colourful floats and lots of happy chanting.

The ride out to Vanderhoof was mostly rolling hills, nice fast riding, chasing the shadows of clouds. I can call myself lucky. I had a couple of clouds providing me with some good shade riding in the sunny part of the day but missed the big showers. Overall I am pretty surprised how many houses and small settlements are all along the road. It has quiet a European feeling where you drive along the countryside, passing a farm here some houses there and a small village a little further down the road. At a small rest stop on the way to Vanderhoof I had my late afternoon Lunch stop and chatting with two brothers who were building a house, adding to the urbanization of the countryside.


Arriving in Vanderhoof I hadn't yet made my 100 km mark and so I decided after a short stop to head on and see where I may end up.
Heading further west the weather turned a bit against me with some showers. Still some amazing views.

I finally arrived at the Beaumont Provincial Park pitching up my tent next to a couple of RV's enjoying there late afternoon of the Victoria holiday weekend. Happy with a good meal and a good nights rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment