Wednesday, May 25, 2011

2011-05-24 Smithers to Hazelton


After my bike stand broke yesterday I did a morning of bike maintenance and running some errands, utilizing the fact that Smithers will be the last great outpost with full service and a bike store. Actually Smithers has two bike stores, (Mike Bike and Sportand COB Bike Shop) both of which had been very very helpful. Though none of them had the kick stand I desired. As I felt that a kick stand was essential I decided on an alternate model and got in addition to the kickstand the 17 mm wrench necessary to mount and maintain the kickstand during the ride.
Aside from dealing with my bike I also had breakfast and met my fellow tree planters from dinner again. Not surprising - small town – but very pleasant. After I got all my things done, packed and late check out I met Lindsay for Lunch. I contacted Lindsay through couchsurfing.org. Lindsay works for the some department responsible for fighting the many forest fires. Prepared as she was, she had checked out the weather forecast for me. Not too bad. As it looked, may be a few showers but overall it shall be getting better the further north I am heading. After a big Burrito I ready for the road again. Onward west it was.
At this stage I actually hadn’t had decided whether I would actually cycle to Whitehorse via Route 37 the Steward-Cassiar HWY or whether I would be heading to Prince Ruppert, taking the ferry up to Whitehorse to gain some time and race for Prudhoe Bay. Due to the ten day delay end of April it had become clear that I won’t be able to cycle the entire way to Prudhoe Bay. Even if I would race I won’t be able to do 4200 km in a months time without competing at the Tour de France.
Well well- heading to Skagway or Haines and onward to Fairbanks and Prudhoe Bay or taking a more leisurely stroll along Route 37? This question went back and forth in my head. Still the foremost important for me was to enjoy the trip, enjoy the cycling and enjoy me being on the road.

While cycling by yourself gives you lots of time to think and contemplate, the scenery often distracts your thoughts and you just admire, 



here some mountains and trees mirroring in the calm waters of a lake, a flock of birds passing overhead, some cows on the meadow starring at you and following your trail, horses galloping along side on their meadow, some dandelions covering the embankment of the road, highlighting the spring season.
Isn’t it amazing? Life is beautiful and mother nature so pure.

Where was I again? – Steward-Cassiar HWY or boat from Prince Ruppert and onward to Prudhoe Bay?
Does it really matter – No - Not really and I will see – probably making the decision spontaneously at the Route 37 Junction.
2 – 4 – 8 – 9 – 15 – 23 – 31 – 33 – 34 – 35 km have passed, some slow some fast. A quick stop for a picture here and another quick stop for a picture there. Time and distance – two dependent variables on this trip. Sometimes time is flying and the kilometers are passing, sometimes time is crawling and you just wonder how endless this journey along the Bulkley River may be.
Onward I heading and along the way I see a moose talk with a native and finally get to New Hazelton. On the way to New Hazelton there were some great advertisement for a campground called Ksan – Well the signs look great – natural colors – a native campground of the Gitxsan Lax-YIP with a museum and Wifi. I decide this to be me final destination today – just a 1 km behind town.
Racing with about 50 k’s downhill towards New Hazelton I pass the town pretty quickly – turn right as described just to discover that the campground is another 7 klicks away – off the road. Checking briefly out the tourism board at the roadway I finally decide that it should be worth while heading to Kshan. At the end I think it was. The road leads high above the river – crossing a bridge on its narrowest path and leading another 100 or so meters in elevation down passing the actual town of Hazelton until the confluence of the Skeena and the Bulkley River.
I arrive just in time to pay my dues and check in. As the grounds were almost empty I decide to take over the shelter and not pitching up my tent in the showery weather.
As I unpack my food bags and prepare for cooking my dinner I briefly leave the shelter to get some water, a quick chat with one of the other RV’ campers on the ground I return with water and discover that a Raven had discovered my food, and nicely picked into all 4 of my cooked pork loins. You can imagine my initial reaction – as the raven flies off upon my return. I look at the mess and think about how to save the remainder of the meat not picked at – I discover some bits and pieces of some earthworms and some beetles – Thank you very much for the presents – I answer the Ravens call.
And than I think about this sarcastic answer – What if the Raven had interpreted my display of food as a gesture of greatness and kindness – as a kind of offering?
What would you do if someone hands you a great offering?
Would you try to give something back?
May be this was actually what happened!?!
The Raven may have taken my display of food, as an offering and regurgitated as a Thank You for my offerings.
This thought suddenly provides the miss happening a complete different meaning.
How bad of me thinking bad of others!!!


And so the night set-in and I pulled out my sleeping bag after safely hanging my food into the rafters, safe from the bears and safe from the mice and other critters which may want to indulge.

Bon Nuit


No comments:

Post a Comment