Thursday, May 19, 2011

2011-05-19 Quesnel to Prince George

After a good night sleep a light yummy cereal breakfast the day had started well and with a little adventure. Due to the heavy rain the past few days part of the driveway had washed out and we got stuck by trying to drive around a big pot hole. With a few rugs and a piece of plywood at hand and a little bit of digging we made it out and Willow to work. A couple of nice pictures, a quick good bye and a stop at Safeway I was back on the road again. 


On my way across the Frazer River I met Tim a native North American with his dog. A sad part of our society, having taken away the land of these people we have given them alcohol and so Tim’s answer to my question what he will be doing today was - drinking.


Too Bad that I wasn’t wit enough on the spot. While riding my bike and passing along the land of these peoples I had a thought. I should have asked Tim to head over to the local policing department, ask for Willow with greetings from me and ask for a large garbage bag, than head out with his buddies and take good care of his land picking up the trash our society is daily leaving behind. Not that I would like to suggest to that others should pick up after us, No I more think that one can make an impact and leading by good example.   
There is a lot of garbage along the roads - cans, plastic bottles, entire trash bags which people have disposed – a real shame.

With another beautiful day riding was fun, and I made some good progress towards Prince George and my second couchsurfing night. I took my lunch at a small lake and than headed onwards. 


In the early afternoon I finally encountered my first black bear. Good 100 to 150 meter of the road the Mum with her two cups were sitting in the grass grassing the fresh greens. After leaving a bit more distance I stopped and took a couple of pictures. Continuing my ride I encountered the next bear a mile or so down the road on the other side of the road. Likely a male, as it was large and alone. I watched him for a little while with my binoculars before heading on again. Another mile down the road I encountered my next wildlife experience. A group of coyotes. Again I took my bino’s out and watched them for a while until they left the scene retreating into the forest. 

Wow what an experience, lots of wildlife in such a short distance. Needless to say aside from the common deer I did not encounter any further wild animal until Prince George, where I spent a lovely evening at my couchsurfers Dennise house before falling sound asleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment