Tuesday, May 17, 2011

2011-05-17 Lac La Hache to McLeese Lake


Another day in the rain. Getting started on a rainy day is always slow and the sleeping bag so warm and comfy. Finally on the road, the best purchase I made in Vancouver are my new jacket, my gloves and my goretex sox. At the beginning I did not like the sox, I had troubles getting them on, and on the first try I half ripped off the top. After a few times getting in and out they are really comfy and a perfect fit. So this said, if you ever plan on riding your bike in the rain for a longer time – get a pair – and get the proper tight fitting size. They are still not watertight if you ride for the entire day in the rain, but they break the wind and delay getting wet socks by at least half a day. In combination with the softshell overboots, riding in cold wet is acceptable. This said on this day and the day before I had a couple of hours, when I did not feel my toes, as it got cold, but hey riding in just above freezing temperature with a windchill of 20 to 40 km/h. Riding on a sunny day then feels soooo much nicer. Yoop Nuts.
Well the ride was wet only half the day. In the afternoon I cleared up and the sun even came out for a few mins.
My choice in the route planning was instead of heading down to Williams Lake I headed straight north at 150 Mile House, first following Horsefly Likely Road than Likely Road and than turning left onto Mountain House Road. While the road initially heads uphill, it goes down hill on the Mountain House Road back to Route 97, whereas following Route 97 dips down to Williams Lake and you have to do a longer climb coming out of Williams Lake. While this may be 12 or a half dozen, the Likely Rd is a couple of miles shorter and has a couple of kilometers of dirt road, leading through some pretty scenic landscape, fending off a dog or two and seeing an old Ford truck.


Overall I made it all the way to McLeese Lake. After setting up shop underneath the cooking structure and hanging up the wet tent and other wet things for drying, I headed over to the Oasis Pub and Kitchen. On the way I met a couple from Great Britain with whom I shared a glas of beer – Corona of course. On the recommendation of Greg the owner of the Pub I had a fantastic Buffalo Burger – almost would say it was the best burger ever, and I just don’t say this because I was hungry, No the burger was just perfect and the combination of mustard and relish was just PERFECT. So if you ever pass by McLeese Lake Stop in at the Pub and say Hi to Greg and Gigi.




No comments:

Post a Comment