Monday, May 23, 2011

2011-05-23 Burns Lake to Smithers

After rain follows sunshine, or in my case today just cloudy weather with only a few drops of rain.
From Burns Lake the road was heading north across the Six Mile Summit - 840 m above sea-level. Not the highest but it was a fun ride up the hill - racing for new speed records on the way down - Is the Check your brake sign also valid for cycles? 
As always the ride down was fun fun and fun, Next destination was Houston at the Blukley River. Houston even holds a World Record. It has the worlds tallest Fly-fishing rod. Don't ask me how tall or long the rod is, but it certainly is impressive. I however doubt that it may ever have caught a fish.


In Houston I also finally saw the cute little passenger train heading to Prince Rupert. Wouldn't it be fun? luxury travel and food!
Due to the heavy rain and snow melt over the past days all rivers are high. The Bulkley River in parts has been flooding the road - lucky me it was before and I had passed those areas. Above a picture of the river waters reaching the underside of the railway bridge in Houston.
 
Another respectable and fun climb lead out of Houston and onward to Smithers my final destination for the day. Along the way I startled and passed a deer just a few feet away and took a nice break on one of the many lakes along the roadside.

Nearing Smithers the mountains have become higher and snow covered again. Smithers itself seems to be a fun small town with lots to offer for the young and older. Though on Victoria Day - a Canadian Holiday - non of the stores are open and the only place for food is either Burger King or Boston Pizza. On my search for food I had joined a group of Tree Planters and we decided on the Boston Pizza Place. Good food and a corona. They are on their off day and tomorrow they will be moving from one deployment side to the other - so overall two days off - yeah. Greetings folks Hope you hadn't too much rain and neither too much sun.


After a good meal I went off to bed in the Hotel - Yes another day in a comfortable bed - roughing it ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment