Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Last minute organizing

So yesterday I run a whole bunch of errands. Most importantly I went to Mountain Equipment Coop and geared a little bit up, I still needed a bag for my camera which would mount in between my areo bars, and which would allow easy access during the ride. Another item was a can of bear spray, the last resort if the bear is within 1 to 3 feet of you. Instruction spray it into the bears face, well I hope I won't get a close encounter with our dear friends. I also got a cook set the MSR dualist, 2 fuel bottles, a bunch of straps, a 500 ml thermos and another bag which mounts in the front of the bike frame. 
Otherwise I visited a dear friend of mine and spent an hour with a my friend Vicki at a reception of the 2011 CHI conference before going back to sorting my belongings, reorganizing and pretty soon crashing in bed.

Well rested I finished packing this morning loaded up my bike and said a farewell to my Vicki before hitting the road. The weather formidable - probably what I will have to get used to, a little drizzle, not too cold and uncomfortable but after an hour I was soaked but well spirited.

My first stop was a bike store. I had ordered yesterday some spare parts for my Ortlieb panniers. Just in case. The parts hadn't arrived yet and so I dropped my bike at the store and went over to MEC to get a few more things. On top of the list were a pair of water proof gloves, one or two poaches and the replacement for my swiss army knife, which I likely had left on my counter top in Illinois.I also wanted to look after a regular bike shirt as it provides some storage.
Digging through the store a found a couple of more things ...
The most important thing is that I will send my blue Mountain Hardware jacket together with a few other small items by mail back to the States. Not that I would be unhappy with the jacket, it's just not a bike jacket. Instead I will be wearing Little Red - MEC Derecho Jacket - a nice hardshell touring bike jacket - perfect for my trip, keeping me outside in dry. I also got a nice merino wool bike shirt (Swobo Merino 753), nice comfy and warm, and it was on the clearance rack.
Now I am really prepared for the ride. Though after a quick stop in the food store and a visit at my dear friends place it has gotten a bit late for hitting the road. So I will be crashing for an night in TED an RV parked behind the house and hit the road early tomorrow morning.

So watch out for the Little Red Flitzer.

No comments:

Post a Comment